How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

3,930 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

205 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Arthur Rump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like option #3 the most, like Aaron and Anonymous. Just writing markdown, viewing it as rendered html and storing it all in the OneNote system would be the best! So this includes both #1 and #2.

• Aaron Fisk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#3 To ability to write in markdown would be great!
    Onenote text formatting is still a little horrible, and the ability to write in markdown would be a fantastic add-in

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neither. instead #3.
    The ability to author pages in markdown.
    The formatting on mobile devices is sooo tedious. Markdown would make that more efficient.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Create new content FROM markdown. However #2 is incredibly useful as well, and seems that it would follow from number 1?

• Craig Sharpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the first option, the ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown. I use the app Drafts a lot, and it fully supports Markdown. I used to use it to capture quick text, then at a later point I could send that note to Evernote, formatted with markdown, and a new properly formatted Evernote note would be created. This is really the scenario I am after, though I would like to replace Evernote with OneNote in my workflow.

• S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, and also, the ability to live format using markdown syntax. I.e., write out a code using backticks: `public static void main(String[] args)` should resolve to an inline code snippet format (like WYSIWYG)

• Edwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#2! I want to take notes in OneNote, then be able to paste the note, with bullets and indenting into a Markdown-enabled text entry field.

• Julian Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both for sure! Today I can (just about) write markdown on OneNote for the desktop, but if I do things like * bulleted lists on the phone it does an auto-format and there's no way to turn it off. Markdown is so useful for note taking, it belongs in OneNote.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not exactly sure what the two options really mean.

What I want to do: Put markdown into OneNote and have it rendered by OneNote, including support for clickable links to other Notes pages as well as external targets.

I.e. use markdown for editing and storage, but have a rendered view. All that as seemless as possible.

• bbeal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally want to be able to type in markdown and have one note understand it. Code ```javascript, etc. support is really needed!!!.

Feedback and Knowledge Base