How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

3,836 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

203 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to ahve a dedicated text box to write markdown and toggle the box from markdown editoing mode to "read only" HTML and back would be great. Anything beyond that would be fine, but editing in Markdown and rendering to HTML is the primary goal.

• Craig Fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#3 Ability to write in Markdown without the PITA auto-formatting & corrections (* <space>) (can't use ``)

• Russell Seymour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to suggest a third option which would allow a new text field to be added to the OneNote page as Markdown. Then a key combination and / or button would then convert it to HTML or RTF in OneNote. As an additional it would be good to be able to copy the original Markdown so that it can be pasted into other documents or webpages.

The toggle idea comes from the MarkDown here (http://markdown-here.com/) plugin for Chrome that allows MD to be added to editable text fields on websites and then converted to HTML.

• apacc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#1 for me. More importantly the features that DropBox paper does. It is so easy to get syntax coloring when I add code snippet to my onenote or quickly add headers without using mouse to apply the styles.

• DC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#2. Markdown is a terrible language to view, edit, & use, but some tools use it. Composing in one note, then exporting as markdown, would make using markdown almost tolerable.

• Rolland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer insert markdown blocks in normal OneNote pages, since what I really need is code highlights without spell checks. Other features are welcome as well, like quotes and splitting lines. I am strongly against writing the whole page in markdown. Otherwise I might as well use other more simpler alternatives or directly write in Latex and save it in cloud drives.

• Skinny77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply being able to write in Markdown and the convert it would be amazing. It would certainly reduce time and increase speed of note taking.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please **The ability to export OneNote pages to commonMark / markdown** - this would be _the_ feature that makes me throw away all other note and documentation programs!

• Jawad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's simply the ability to use Markdown in OneNote pages, Currently I use the tool to take all of my work notes, and as a Developer I need to add code blocks, code lines and other formatting into my notes,. It would be great if this was added to ONe note as I would hate moving away from using it!

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me converting to and from markdown are equally important. I am surprised nobody mentioned Markdown Here (http://markdown-here.com/) on this thread. It would be great it we would a a button somewhere in the ribbon that toggles the selected text between markdown and formatted text. If no text is selected then the whole page is converted.

• Arthur Rump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like option #3 the most, like Aaron and Anonymous. Just writing markdown, viewing it as rendered html and storing it all in the OneNote system would be the best! So this includes both #1 and #2.

Feedback and Knowledge Base