How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

3,098 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
    We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
    1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
    2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

153 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to recognize markdown ( and then able to show/hide markdown ) will be great.

Able to import markdown will be nice to.

I really love search feature in OneNote btw. That's why it's great for my note taking !

• Kymo Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The request was raised in 2016 and now is 2018. Is there a plan to implement this?

• Brian Blaylock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like the ability to type on OneNote pages as markdown and have it rendered. I imagine something like a Jupyter notebook that when I select a text box I can write using Markdown syntax, and when I click outside the textbox (when I'm done typing), OneNote would render the markdown.

• Eric Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Markdown in OneNote would be amazing. I find Markdown a really fluid way to take structured notes. It is very natural, and the result is organized and understandable. Beyond headings and lists, being able to quote text and format source code are also important features.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to write in Markdown in OneNote would make it a no-brainer choice for me. I can zip along writing in Markdown like it was my own natural tongue. It's about speed and portability. Note something into OneNote then take it out to Ulysses later to expand on it. That would be a joy.

Are you getting the hint yet?

Also, I think it would absolutely blow Gruber's mind if Microsoft implemented Markdown in OneNote.

I started using Ulysses because taking notes just takes too long on OneNote :( - we still use OneNote for the shared reference materials in the company, but it's a shame there's no way to use markdown syntax.

• bbeal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please add this. I need to be able to record code blocks. Even if you supported just code back ticks so format code it would be a serious improvement. Software developers can not use one note to take notes regarding source code without CMD+OPT+SHIFT+4 or WINDOW+S and then paste. Thats right, my notebooks are filled to the brim of screen shots. I can't believe internal employees aren't asking for this themselves.

• Zane Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow all files to be written in Markdown!

If you can support MathJax and other more complex Markdown features then it would be super helpful!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 Will be good Please!!!!! I can't believe we can't use markdown in 2018 on onenote

• Ara Yapejian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, already ditched Evernote for the lack of markdown, this would be killer. Mostly use OneNote on MacOS so support there would be fantastic!

• Shameer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me it's #2, the ability to get a page as Markdown.
        OneNote is really good for ad-hoc note-taking. Once an idea is fleshed-out, it would be great to copy it to something with better history tracking like VSTS wiki or GitHub

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really want #1 - creating OneNote pages with markdown!!
        Not concerned with #2 (recalling OneNote pages as markdown).

What we want is to type markdown formatting tags and have them automatically add appropriate formatting on the fly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base