How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

3,383 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
    We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
    1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
    2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

171 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matthew Conto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option 1 is more important as I find the syntax for Markdown excellent for rapid note-taking.
        Option 2 would be nice for exporting to GitHub/web

• John McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me the ability to edit pages in goold old plain text mode would already be enough. I just want a good plain text editor with cloud sync!

Nonetheless, it would be great to have Markdown syntax highlight, like in Visual Studio Code. I don't need the preview mode, but some people may like it.

Plain text mode is the most important, though. And the easiest. Come on, Microsoft!

• Marius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Markdown export to single pages as we could use that to do our documentation workflow and then give the documentation to the world

• Royal Kitsune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@OneNote API Team Admin can we get an update on if this is still being considered? as someone who is just starting to learn programming and coding in general being able to use markdown to make syntax highlighted code blocks is extremely useful, and helps to keep track of thought flow and context when re-reading.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really neither of these scenarios. It needs to be possible to write a block/page in markdown and have it auto format. See any number of online editors Wordpress/Squarespace/Ghost/etc that support Markdown.

• AnthonyU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per my comment on thread https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/245490-onenote-developer-apis/suggestions/16289065-markdown-support-for-onenote-desktop-and-web

I would prefer option 1 to create a block of markdown anywhere on a OneNote page

I recently discovered Typora, its WYSIWIG implementation is superb and is working really well for me and I could drop 10years plus of OneNote loyalty and evangelism to run off with Typora

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for this too! If implementing it into the standard OneNote page is too difficult, then we should have a special page dedicated to markdown. So in this special page we'll have the benefit in switching views between the markdown code and the code. or even better have a split screen so we can see the preview immediately as we type.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to recognize markdown ( and then able to show/hide markdown ) will be great.

Able to import markdown will be nice to.

I really love search feature in OneNote btw. That's why it's great for my note taking !

• Kymo Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The request was raised in 2016 and now is 2018. Is there a plan to implement this?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base