How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

2,469 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
    We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
    1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
    2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see some kind of movement on this as well since its been gathering feedback for almost 2 years. Using Markdown in apps like Slack and Trello have been time savers and are a quick way to format text when you're really cranking away on notes, communicating code blocks, etc.

• David DeMeulenaere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of the two scenarios you post, the ability to create new pages from markdown would be more important to me.

What brought me to this is generally transferring notes that have already been written in markdown over to OneNote. As I type and think about your options this it occurs that I will probably be wanting to recall these notes as markdown also.

My general feeling is that markdown has become my default syntax for any kind of commenting or documenting on the web and it'd be nice to not have to context shift now that I'm trying to use OneNote as my primary notes repository.

• J. Warwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alternatively, a converter that applied to highlighted text. I.e., copy a block of MD text from a file or site, paste into OneNote, repeating this a few times. Now highlight the block of MD source in OneNote, right-click, Convert/Re-interpret/render > from MarkDown and presto, the literal MarkDown source in OneNote is rendered with appropriate formatting. I know the point of MarkDown is that in source form it serves in a rudimentary capacity exactly what the rendered form is meant to convey. So this is a nice-to-have, not a critical necessity.

• J. Warwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be happy with some kind of special-paste mode. In our case, we are migrating/importing MarkDown content into OneNote. It would be nice to preserve the effective formatting, wouldn't mind losing the "source" notation.

• Ameb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How has this been gathering feedback for nearly two years? Come on MS give the people what they want :)

• Martin Franken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would personally like to use markdown formatting to format the text withing one note. I find it faster than clicking around or memorizing the one not hotkeys for certain things. Why use `Ctrl`+`Alt`+`2` when I can just use ## to signify a `heading 2`. There are a lot of program that I use that allow markdown style formatting for your input, such as Slack.

Being able to export your notes in markdown formatting would also be nice granted all of the rich aspects of Onenote aren't exactly transferable.

I think number 1 would be the primary feature with number 2 being a "nice to have". Markdown is a great way for coder and non-coders to take notes especially if you know how to type. You can use simple character combination to format your notes without taking your hands off the keyboard.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will use both of those scenarios (mentioned in the Gathering Feedback) regularly. I love Onenote, but this is a deal breaker.

• Damien Solodow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like most are interested in scenario number 1; I'm one of the ones who would love to be able to use markdown in a OneNote page.

I would love to create pages in Markdown right inside Onenote as well. I can type a lot quicker than writing so being able to format notes while taking them without leaving the keyboard would be a huge time saver. I've used editors like Atom to do this but reading the formatted version of the file on another machine or a mobile device is problematic since the software and plugins need to be installed on each device I want to view my notes on. OneNote would easily solve that problem and would be Business friendly to our corporate users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I often takes notes in class at rapid speed -having to manually mouse up to the ribbon, click on a header style, then mouse back to continue typing, takes away valuable seconds of note taking time. To do it inline with MD formatting would be much much better. My ideal scenario is if I just type in MD and there's a setting in OneNote somewhere that will automatically convert MD to OneNote formatting for me.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to create pages in MD would be fantastic. This would make OneNote vastly better for Markdown users.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base