How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Provide Client APIs to allow offline editing without conflicts

While most Android phones are permanently connected to the internet via 3G or LTE, many tablets are still WiFi only and will not have internet connectivity when on the go.

If I wish for app to allow offline editing of OneNote files, I currently have to store any changes that are made locally and sync them when the device regains connectivity. But what if the user also makes changes in the official OneNote app or another OneNote API app at the same time? The changes from each app would not be reflected in the others, and this may result in conflicts when connectivity is restored.

There should be some way for apps to communicate directly with the OneNote app when available, allowing for full, consistent offline editing.

Adapted from my StackOverflow thread here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28228935/onenote-for-android-offline-api/28247150#28247150

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Joshua Walsh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • j. anes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote should have this, it's a shame it doesn't. This would enable Tasker integration, as well as a OneNoe backed journal/status/todo widget.

I love OneNote, but it feels like it's stagnating. Having a *useful* api (not the online only garbage) would fix this.

• blute commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely important and should be a primary focus for Microsoft. Without a native API that allows access to the OneNote ecosystem there will be no development by third parties.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try taking backup using "Cloudbacko software" i have experience of using CloudBacko software for my MYSQL database backup. Currently, i am using the same software because it gives me full security and protection to my data. Backup of a large 100GB MySQL Database can be finished overnight. Fast multi-thread MySQL Database backup. Block level incremental hot backup with zero downtime. MySQL Database backup pre-requisites checking guarantees restorability. Multi-destination concurrent backup. Directly restore from backup to original database. Service is very good so i would like to suggest you to have CloudBacko software for your backup plan.

Feedback and Knowledge Base