How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Recognize handwritten text in images

Right now, the OneNote API recognizes printed text. This would expand support to recognize handwritten text too so it could be indexed and searched for.

166 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg AkselrodGreg Akselrod shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • djwdjw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evernote has this capability. I cannot switch to OneNote until this is addressed. This is too important for a paperless business where documents, work orders, receipts, signatures, personal notes etc. are handwritten and unavoidable. OneNote is the superior product but lack of this feature is a deal breaker.

• Rob RohrRob Rohr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the reasons OneNote ink handwriting recognition works so well is that stroke order is maintained along with the image of the handwriting. Without that stroke order, irregular character recognition is a hard problem. I'm not saying it's something MS can't solve, but it would be unlikely to be anywhere near the levels of accuracy of OCR of printed text in an image.

• Greg AkselrodGreg Akselrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What sort of images/scans are most important? Whiteboards, pictures of pieces of paper, scans of pieces of paper, other?

Feedback and Knowledge Base