How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Ink support in the API

Be able to support something like InkML in OneNote pages through the API.

122 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
James Lau shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for adding inkML support to the API.
    It is cumbersome to have to completely regenerate a page to add new ink strokes.
    Please consider adding the ability to patch a page with ink data.

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in higher ed and have faculty/staff ask me all the time if the iPad Pro can do handwriting recognition (Ink to Text) as that is what they want.

• Jason Pettys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry to see no progress on this in almost 3 years. I've got a bunch of ink content in OneNote and would really like a way to access it via the API, but it appears to be impossible. inkML, PNG, MHT file... any possible way to access my drawings programmatically would be awesome.

My goal is to create pages with ink reflecting handwritten notes recorded on an eWriter device, so POST gets my vote.

• Dima Konev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my personal project, in the short term, POST would be more useful, although I would like to see both implemented.

I am so glad this is getting attention! I agree, initally the GET operation would be useful first. The POST will be useful as digital ink gains more steam.

• Jason Pettys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely GET would be more useful first, IMO. Would that mean that the <!-- InkNode is not supported --> we're getting in pages/id/content today would be replaced by the inkML? If I'm understanding you right, GET before POST would be my vote.

Some sort of support for ink would open up a lot of really cool applications. For example, let's say a student has circled something in an image. If I could get the region of interest (ROI) of that circle & its associated image, I could automatically extract the key part of the image to share with other students.

I'm definitely a bit disappointed we're not able to access the "text" of saved ink in notebooks.

Since I have a large number of notes with recognized ink as text, most of the content I'm able to extract is nothing but a lot of "<--- Ink nodes not supported --->"

This would be great if we're able to actually access the text content itself!

Feedback and Knowledge Base