How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Markdown Support for OneNote (desktop and web)

I know there's already an Idea posted for this topic however the original poster of the idea hasn't provided feedback as to what exactly they meant. so here goes:

It's simply the ability to use Markdown in OneNote pages, Currently I use the tool to take all of my work notes, and as a Developer I need to add code blocks, code lines and other formatting into my notes,. It would be great if Markdown was added to OneNote just like in GitHub wikis or Stackoverflow for example as I would hate moving away from using it!

1,535 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jawad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please support markdown on all platforms! This is the biggest missing feature in OneNote!

OneNote needs Markdown, Outline, and Tag system. I’m changing to Typora and IA Writer.

• Thabile Vatsha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really Microsoft?? OneNote easily in the top 5 best products ever to come out from Redmond and you really can't implement simple code blocks for us with Markdown. Please save us! I'm tired of having to stick in screenshots in my notes

• AnthonyU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 10 plus years of using Onenote, my only reason to stay with MSoffice. Because onenote can not adequately capture coding fragments or do some of the rich extensions. ie UML, Flowcharts that markdown can do I am looking for a better tool. Typora is finally providing me a real workable way other than Onenote, much more effective for my coding notes. I could now drop my 10years of OneNote . So come on Onenote Team get a Markdown support that can harbour codeblocks and many of the other extensions, UML etc and I will be a customer for the next 10years

• bbeal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please add this before I have to resort to text files for taking notes. I really don't understand why this is so difficult.

• Ben Cawrse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if it was initially supported as an insert-able tool like the insert table, or images, I'd be satisfied. Such as, insert Markdown section, basically a simple textarea, then whatever is typed in that textarea would be rendered when focus is lost. If the area had focus it would revert back to markdown.
        That's a clean silo'd way to start adding markdown support without worrying about wrecking the current content area behavior. If the community feedback is good, expand support, if not, at least markdown nerds have a power tool, hidden safely next to the table tool or wherever the design team hides it.

• bbeal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously this needs to be supported across all devices, mac, windows and ipad. I am a software architect and I have to copy paste images of the code instead of the text because of the poor formatting and spell check. I've been asking for this for years. Please push this forward.

I'd love this as well, as long as we retain the ability to copy code to the clipboard without taking the line numbers with it.
        (There is a plugin for onenote that applies markup formatting, but it adds line numbers that are carried over when you copy/paste, which makes it all a bit less useful!)

Feedback and Knowledge Base