OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Allow live OneNote pages to be embedded on a website

Imagine being able to share a live version of an individual OneNote page with the visitors of your website.

Take a single OneNote page and embed that page within your website, not as a published, static entity, but rather live and dynamically updated.

If you as the owner of that OneNote page or any of your co-editors change something about the OneNote page, the change should be reflected immediately on the website.

Apart from the obvious benefits for OneNote users, the exciting side effect is that OneNote as a flagship product will obtain exponential exposure.

299 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    No current plans  ·  20 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Syntax Highlighting

Basic syntax highlighting would be fantastic.
    It would be nice to see javascript (typescript), C#, C++, <insert popular language here>. It would also be greatly appreciated to have an API to extend syntax highlighting beyond predefined languages.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    147 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Why not develop a linux version?

Hoping use it on the linux platform

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No current plans  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow PATCHing of date created

Since date created is used for ordering of pages (it is, isn't it?), PATCHing of date created would allow an app to change the displayed order of pages without having to delete and POST essentially the same page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No current plans  ·  2 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. API Support for On-Premises SharePoint

Recently support was added for SharePoint, but only for SharePoint online, not for On-Premises SharePoint.

The API looks amazing, but unfortunately for us, we can't use it as all of our notebooks are stored using our On-Premises SharePoint.

I'd love to see SharePoint get full support!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Kyle, at present, we have no plans to support APIs on any platform other than our cloud-based offerings.

7. Adisa

AdisaDurmisi

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Samples  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Adisa

Adisa Durmisi

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Issue with Registering to App Store requirement on Windows Store App sample

I'm trying to write my own sample app using the "Hello World" app instructions laid out by Microsoft on this webpage:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/dn575417.aspx

The problem I'm having is that I do not wish to register this app to the app store yet, as I am only trying to run your "Hello World" sample project as a proof of concept. I thought that if I performed sideloading, it could help me bypass the registering to an app store. Unfortunately, it keeps failing on this line of code due to a NullReferenceException:

LiveLoginResult loginResult = await authClient.LoginAsync(scopes);

Searching for a resolution online yielded…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. OneNote 2013 calculates log incorrectly

Calculating log via the autocomplete calculation feature of OneNote 2013 does not work correctly. For example, "log(2) = " is autocompleted with "0.693147180559945", when the correct answer is actually "0.30102999566". The only log value I have found to work is log(1) = 0.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Dashboard/Summary Notifications, Author Tags, Task Calendars

The idea would be have a summary of user requested tags for a dashboard view that enable notifications for any or all the user selects. This would allow the user to decide which tags go on the summary page, but this is only for shared OneNote books to have notifications of changes. For example: I am sharing a OneNote page, section, or notebook in the future, and another user adds some contents. There should be a notification for the app, but also if the user chooses from a set list of tags such as a ? tag, or even have…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Give access to outline meta information

Please allow us to write/amend <One:Meta> in the OneNote DOM via the API.

Preferably down to an outline level, so we can store additional information about the data we're writing out. For example a due date for a specific tag.

This would ideally also get synced downstream to the desktop so we can interact with the information via the COM API.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base