OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 4,206 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    218 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,
    We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
    1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
    2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

2. Markdown Support for OneNote (desktop and web)

I know there's already an Idea posted for this topic however the original poster of the idea hasn't provided feedback as to what exactly they meant. so here goes:

It's simply the ability to use Markdown in OneNote pages, Currently I use the tool to take all of my work notes, and as a Developer I need to add code blocks, code lines and other formatting into my notes,. It would be great if Markdown was added to OneNote just like in GitHub wikis or Stackoverflow for example as I would hate moving away from using it!

3,064 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    55 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Integrate Wunderlist with OneNote

Integrate Wunderlist with OneNote to gain features like list reminders

1,511 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable OneNote API as an IFTTT source, not just target

Currently OneNote API is an IFTT target; I'd like to be able to write recipes that use OneNote activities as a trigger

384 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. OneNote UWP add-in API

OneNote UWP add-in APIs are essential to a successful OneNote-Office transition to UWP. Office-OneNote add-in capability have a healthy ecosystem for customized user-developer functionality, such as Onetastic, OneNote UWP add-in APIs should be sustained to empower users-developers to provide unusual or domain specific functionality, which can quickly be developed and deployed to meet domain-specific user-needs and become candidates for eventual OneNote PWS integration. As an example, an Office-OneNote healthcare Electronic Medical Record (EMR) set of macros is used for clinicians to maintain patient records for small medical practices. Losing OneNote Office API integration decreases the Microsoft value proposition.

313 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. A simple way to Code Syntax HIghlight...No extension required !

I was searching for any extension that can help me format my code on my OneNote Mac, but I failed. Now finally I discovered a way to do it.
    If you want to paste a code from any source into your onenote with all the syntax and formatting highlight intact, heres a simple solution.
    Here's the trick:

Visit the stack overflow site and in the reply section, paste your code in the CODE block, after this stackoverflow will show you the preview of your code in Syntax highlighted manner.
    Now just code from the preview and paste in OneNote.....DONE !! …

209 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ink support in the API

Be able to support something like InkML in OneNote pages through the API.

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Webhooks for Office 365 Notes

Webhooks now work for OneDrive accounts which is great, but we've got Office 365 Business clients clamoring for the same functionality. I know there are privacy and access concerns to be addressed here, but Evernote solved them and I'm sure Microsoft will too.

It's always tough when paying Business users feel behind free users in functionality. Hope this can be addressed soon.

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support 'Apps for Office' to allow custom TaskPanes within OneNote apps.

Other Office applications support the addition of custom taskpanes via the Javascript-based apps for Office model. it would be great if OneNote apps had the same support.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. API to let me share a notebook with someone

Just like how a user share a notebook with one or more other users, I want to be able to do this programmatically.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Programmer Friendly Pages and Features

I would like to be able to switch individual pages to a "Programmer Mode" or have some kind of "Frames" to put programming code or commands in. I'm tired of the first letter of every line being capitalized automatically, auto correct changing words in my code, and everything being underlined as a misspelled word.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make OCR available in the C# API

Make OCR available in the C# API of OneNote so that we can use it in C# console/wpf/winforms/... apps.
    This way we can replace MODI and do real automation.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. API support for accessing a page's custom tags

This was requested in the idea for 'API support for tags, including custom tags', but that has been marked as completed on the basis that support for built-in tags only has been launched.
    (The Evernote API allows you to read (and set) custom tags, which makes it considerably more versatile.)

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OneNote SEARCH function not working properly on Android mobile

I am using the OneNote app on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge mobile phone (Android OS).
    It works fine. Only the SEARCH function does NOT work as it should be.
    When searching for a word, it gives me only the page where the item is found.
    So it doesn't jump to the searched word (by highlighting it as it should do).
    That's a serious shortcoming of the product and makes it a very bad application.
    How can i resolve this shortcoming?
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Edge 6.
    Andoid version: 5.1.1
    I have also installed the newest version of OneNote…

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ODATA 'search' for OneNote Business

I was somewhat shocked when an API tech told me you can't search OneNote Business pages via the API to find the note you need to retrieve or modify.

I'm sure there are some permissions concerns, but without being able to search using the API is extremely inefficient and not really usable for many purposes.

Please prioritize giving your paid business customers the same features as your free consumers can get.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Supporting right to left languages (Android version)

Hi Onenote team,

This is a serious problem about the onenote app for android, it supports Right to left langauses on notebooks and sections list , but don't support it inside the page.

it is making it useless on the android system whenever there is something written in those languages and there is a huge section of people using these languages like Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew.

I think that the team have to fix this problem before adding more partners.

by the way it is not something new and I am not the first one to complain about this, for example:

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to reorder page

Ability to set order of the page created and reorder of the pages would be useful

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide Client APIs to allow offline editing without conflicts

While most Android phones are permanently connected to the internet via 3G or LTE, many tablets are still WiFi only and will not have internet connectivity when on the go.

If I wish for app to allow offline editing of OneNote files, I currently have to store any changes that are made locally and sync them when the device regains connectivity. But what if the user also makes changes in the official OneNote app or another OneNote API app at the same time? The changes from each app would not be reflected in the others, and this may result in…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. scan from hp scanner directly to onenote

Would like to scan directly from my HP all in one printer-scanner into onenote.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Expose the complete Object Model of Onenote

The OneNote API should be the API that the Microsoft team that develop OneNote themselves uses.
    There should not be anything that Microsoft can do that a 3:ed party could not do as well.

There should be a set of basic classes/objects that remain fairly stable over time and then just about everything else should be addons.
    Check out how Visual Studio is done, and then do something similar with OneNote.

At the very foundation OneNote is nothing but a distributed and replicated Database, so creating new data models/structures should be a trivial thing.
    There could be requirements that there…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs