OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. A way to report service errors

I can not find a way to report errors when the service is down or misbehaves. The /v1.0/me/notes/pages API call returns empty results in our region (works fine in the US West region) since yesterday morning and it is not possible to report this issues to anyone.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Possibility to create a link for consultation without login need from personal account

Actually, rom a personal account, I can't create a link for consultation without login. So my students must login to consult my notes. But I can't ask it from them actually. So it would be great to have the possibility like on the education or professional accounts to create a link we can open , read and write without login necessary.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add hyperlink content to exported file

When a notebook is exported, the hyperlink content (to other pages in other notebooks e.g.) is getting lost in the moment. It would be very useful to enable to add the hyperlink content at the end of the file or similar, so get a document with working hyperlinks. Cheers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Control better text boxes in iOS app

We can't enlarge and mive text boxes around on a page in the iOS app. We need to go in the browser app to modify and come back to the app. It's very irritating. Same problem for images copied from internet.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. A current marketing problem you have.

Problem when receiving your e-mails- re what happened 9 years ago; so you might want to post those reminder shots on Facebook, you click on the link and are taken to a browser were it is suggested you buy the app!
    That is naturally as far as you get! Why are the selected shots seen in the email not posted directly or why does the app I have installed and going not open/start?
    Currently for me in Sweden, this is the same every time, completely waisted marketing.
    Just thought you might want to fix that! I hate being taken to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "Post-it" notes level

I love the one note badge concept where you don’t need to open the program to take notes. I especially love the fact that I don’t even have to unlock my tablet or phone to take notes. What I would like to see is another ‘layer’ in OneNote. When I write One Note Badge notes, they are more like “Post-it Notes”. So sometimes these disparate “Post-its” will eventually make up a single page. I’d like to be able to group my “Post-its” into a single page instead of each note being a page unto itself, because it becomes difficult to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to add border to text boxes (and fill) & Ability to add thumbnails of images which expand on click

Both so simple. I write in the nice, flexible boxes, then want a border to distinguish this from other but i have to draw a rectangle but then i always have to adjust the rectangle to the text box when expanding and shifting.
    When I add large images from slides, I want a thumbnail.
    If i make it big enough to read it takes up the whole screen and ruins my layout.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. ANCHOR THE DEFAULT INSTALLATION, IF MOBILE, THE LINK SO USERS CAN'T MISTAKENLY MAKE CRITICAL SYSTEM CHANGES USIN THE LINKS TO EXECUTE OTHER,

ANCHOR THE DEFAULT INSTALLATION, IF MOBILE, THE LINK SO USERS CAN'T MISTAKENLY MAKE CRITICAL SYSTEM CHANGES USIN THE LINKS TO EXECUTE OTHER SOFTWARE, ISSUES WHERE THE PROGRAM FILES BECOME MIXED, DETACHED ,OR SEPERATED, ALONG WITH NAME OR DESCRIPTION, JUST MAKE IT PERMANANT, AND FIXED. BUT ALLOWING , MIGRATION FOR UPDATED USER DATA AND PACKAGE. Example, I have a one note that links to exe OneDrive then the files then OneNote, and a sky drive with OneNote icon and description that executes OneNote then the link to SkyDrive (old) from within, A link on a note activates the .exe link to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Insert blank lines between two entries

Create an easy way to add blank lines between entries on a page in OneNote (on my desktop PC). Example: I have a page for household repairs. First item is a note dated 7/15/2013. Second entry is dated 7/15/2015 and starts just after the 2013 item. Now I want to insert an overlooked item, dated 7/15/2014! Doing that is tedious. I'd like to just "insert" a new unrelated blank line between two entries, and I could enlarge it from there while typing.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. OneNote for Android platform

i totally love having OneNote in my windows phone. thanks for making it simple. unfortunately I have shifted to android latform now and would appreciate if OneNote is available there too. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make contacts page after scanning business cards download to excel spreadsheet.

We need to be able to sort & export contacts to a spreadsheet.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. add option to search pages

Hey, My notebook have lots of page. It's not handy scroll down and find page. So, it's need option to search pages.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. IT is not a Ideal, it's fact!!!

One Note!!!!
    One Drive I hate them to a extreme, been a User of Microsott and Windows for at least 30 yr. I hate them both sol bad I'm seriourly thinking of changing to Apple!!! One note and One drive completly takes over your computer and the bullshit of going in circles for hours because one or both keep taking you to a direction that you never asked for nor want to use onedrive. It won't let you go the direction you want. ItForces you to use things the way they want!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable OneNote API for data storage on Phone, health vault, box, and other HIPAA compliant data storage options

Enable OneNote API for development with other apps. Moreover, API should allow data storage on smart Phone, health vault, box, and other HIPAA compliant data storage options.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow OneNote notebooks to exist in Onedrive/O365 and also be replicated on a local server on a site.

OneNote API is for the Onedrive onenote, The COM API is for desktop onenote.

I would like to write an app that would offer the flexibility of having onenotes online (onedrive/etc) but also having the peace-of-mind of having a local copy on a server for a site to work on so they don't get lag and also still have the notebooks if their internet dies.

I .. I don't think this is possible right now.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. allow organsing in better manner

i am a reasercher into notes application,i have found that hiraricial folders to 5+-2 is the best amount of nested folders to be allowed in any app to organize information,right now onenote allows section groups>>sections>>pages>>subpages,plz improve this with the help of folders,that can go upto 7 levels if needed

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create a OneNote "Digest" option in IFTTT

In IFTTT, there are email digest options that allow a day's or week's worth of content to be dumped at a specific time to an email. Allow the same feature in OneNote so that each trigger doesn't create a separate page, but aggregates a day's worth (or a set number) of content on one page.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. OneNote Lens API

It would be great for there to be an API which allows the user of OneNote Lens camera scanning functions.

I'd like to be able to scan documents and have the API return the cleaned up image and OCR data to my app.

My app would then allow the user to enter metadata onto the image in the same way notes can be added to PDF documents. The metadata would then be used to group and categorize the files, allowing the user to automatically archive similar documents.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)